Vauxhall immediately to the west of Lambeth remained a village until the late 18th century. It is well known for the Vauxhall Gardens launched in 1732 on the site of the earlier New Spring Gardens, which opened to the public in the 1660s. Public access to the area was difficult until the building of Westminster Bridge (1750) and Vauxhall Bridge (1816), Lambeth Bridge came later (1862) but easy river access mean that industry came early. There were several glass houses from the 17th century and also potteries and vinegar distillers. Housing pressure and the building of the Albert Embankment forced the closure of most of these by the end of the nineteenth century.
Throughout the 18th and 19th centuries there were at least two potteries operating in Vauxhall, either in Glasshouse Street or near Vauxhall Bridge.
Access Owners and Dates of each Pottery by clicking the Potteries button.
Access images of the marks and products of each Pottery by clicking the Marks button.