James Stiff was born in 1808 the son of Robert Stiff of Rougham, Suffolk,
master and farmer. He married Sarah Faulkner Philpott (1831) and Lucy Potter (1878).
He died in Swanage in 1897.
|1826||Ceased work as a plasterer's assistant in Rougham, left for London
and was employed at the Coade Stone manufactory and began an apprenticeship,
|1830||Began work at Doulton and Watt's Lambeth Pottery as a mould maker.|
|1842||Commenced work as potter at his own premises in Ferry Street, Lambeth (previously premises of T Higgins). Directories record him making Water Filters.|
|1843||Took lease of first portion of 39 High Street,
Lambeth premises but is still
listed in trade directories for Ferry Street up until 1844. From 1845 he is
listed at 39 High Street.
|1863||Takes sons, William and Ebenezer, into partnerships as James Stiff and Sons.|
|1895||James Stiff described as "now retired" in article in "The British Clayworker"|
|1903||New partnership of Sydney James Stiff (1867-1948), James Arthur Stiff and William Frederick Stiff (b.1874 and another son of Ebenezer) was formed after the death of William Stiff. This partnership was in turn dissolved on 31 Dec 1912.|
|1913||Sold out to Royal Doulton|
William born 1837, died 1899 and Ebenezer born 1840, retired from the firm
1903, died 1913. Ebenezer's son, James born 1871, died 1958 was also a partner
in the firm but after 1913 left to train as a priest.
Information supplied by Di Stiff.