Theatrical

image image

NEW THEATRE GOODMANS FIELDS, PIT

The first theatre in Goodman’s Fields opened in 1729. It was rebuilt in 1732 and closed in 1746. David Garrick made his first appearance on a London stage here in 1741 (as Richard III). Similar tokens reading BOX and GALLERY have been recorded.

Click to view
image image

Royalty Theatre, Wellclose Square, 1790
© Trustees of the British Museum

The Royalty Theatre was built by John Wilmot for John Palmer, the actor, formerly of Drury Lane Theatre. It opened on 20th June 1787 and changed its name to The East London Theatre in 1809. It burnt down in 1826. The Brunswich Theatre opened on its site on February 25th 1828 but collapsed, with heavy loss of life, just a few days later.
image image

ROYAL PAVILION THEATRE / B, J

Opened in 1829 and rebuilt after destruction by fire in 1856. Box ticket
image image

ROYAL PAVILION THEATRE / P, F

As above, Pit ticket. Several other varieties of token recorded.
image image

R. ELLIOTT/ 138 / WHITECHAPEL ROAD / LONDON

EAST LONDON MUSIC HALL WHITECHAPEL / RODNEYS HEAD / --- TWO / ---

The Lord Rodney’s Head is recorded as a pub from before 1806 until 2004. Robert Elliott is listed in directories between 1844? and 1856. 138 was renumbered as 285 in 1898
image image

RODNEY’S HEAD / ASSEMBLY ROOM / 138 / WHITECHAPEL ROAD / OPPOSITE THE / LONDON HOSPITAL / COMMENCE AT / 8 O’CLOCK

ADMIT TWO / ON WEDNESDAY EVG / TO THE / EAST LONDON / COAL HOLE MEETING / 138 / WHITECHAPEL ROAD

 
image image

ROYAL FORESTERS MUSIC HALL CAMBRIDGE RD MILE END / GRAND / CHRISTMAS / PANTOMIME / AND / TWENTY STAR / ARTISTES / EVERY / EVENING

First opened in 1829 it only seems to have used “Royal” between 1901 and 1904. It closed in 1917 and was used as a cinema from 1926 to 1960.