A unique service offering an easy way to access a wealth of information on ancestors from the 1800s. Covering the Greater London area and Hertfordshire, the database currently holds approximately 30,000 entries.
OLD BAILEY SESSIONS PAPERS
Database containing thousands of individuals mentioned in court cases at the Old Bailey. Sorted by surname, the accused, prosecutors and witnesses are listed in a wide array of cases touching on:
- Attempted murder
- Counterfeit coining
Geographically the area covered by the Sessions is equal to todays Greater London. The majority of cases come from the years 1840-90, but some selected cases date from 1800-1840.
EAST LONDON OBSERVER/ SHOREDITCH OBSERVER
Entries come from the year 1857 onwards, reporting on a broad spectrum of local news, such as :
- Court cases at local police courts and the Central Criminal Court
- Inquests into deaths
- Civil court proceedings, bankruptcies, disputes, etc.
- Parochial news, Guardians of the poor, etc.
- Adverts and notices of sales and auctions
- Reports on political meetings, friendly and benevolent societies
- Local events such as excursions, sporting clubs
HERTFORD MERCURY 1851-1871
(With the kind co-operation of The Hertfordshire Mercury)
Extensive coverage with entries from all over the county also featuring some reports from neighbouring counties such as Essex, Bucks and Middlesex. Entries indexed by surname from:
- Hertfordshire Quarter Sessions and Assizes
- Local County Sessions
- Petty Sessions
- Bastardy orders
- Civil cases
- Local politics
- Reports on local events such as fairs, fetes, day-trips, horse races etc.
- Unusual weather, such as storms, hurricanes, heatwaves
For full details of how to access the databases, charges etc, contact:
Matt Sears, 250 Westfield, Harlow, Essex, CM18 6AP, United Kingdom.
Please send a S.A.E. for reply.