Glass advertising ash or pin tray from the famous Whitechapel restaurant Blooms. Morris Bloom opened his first restaurant in Brick Lane in 1920. After a spell at the corner of Old Montague Street it moved to Whitechapel High Street in 1952. Famed for its salt beef and rude waiters, its business declined as the local Jewish population moved away and it closed in 1996. Blooms is still open, however, in Golders Green (1965) and Edgware (2007). This tray shows the restaurant's telephone number as BISHOPSGATE 6835. The exchange's name was changed to a numeric code (247) in 1968.