Chromolithographed advertising card from Frederick Allen & Sons, 1884. The association of sweetness and health would probably not be permitted nowadays. Frederick Allen were established as manufacturing confectioners in Bishopsgate around 1852. They opened their Canal Road, Mile End factory in 1869. It must have been an impressive sight even allowing for the exaggeration typical of such factory plans. They moved out in 1904 and the site became a Stepney Borough Council Depot.