A shop paper bag - an commonplace object from the past that might be making a comeback. George Lambeth was at number 89 from 1920 to 1947 but Green Street was renamed Roman Road in 1940. Selling eggs and smoking haddocks nowadays seems a strange combination. Number 89 Green Street had been a fishmongers from 1887 but George started at 14 as assistant in another fishmongers: the shop at 185 to 187 Green Street run by his father (also George Lambeth). In 1899 his mother Caroline took over and he became shop manager. His mother carried on running 185/7 Green Street until 1928, when she would have been 73, after which it was run (until 1935) by George's younger brother John Daniel Lambeth. Although 89 Green Street was operating in 1946 and 1947 there is no Trade Directory entry between 1942 and 1945, possibly due to war damage.