Queen Victoria died on 22nd. January 1901 and in less than two months the Board had prepared the design for a new medal and submitted it for Royal approval. The medal had the portrait of King Edward, designed by F Boucher, and was named 'The King Edward the Seventh Medal'. All the medals issued for the year 1901 were of the Queen Victoria design, the King Edward the Seventh Medal not being issued until 1902.
In 1904 all the old School Boards were replaced by either a new Education Committee or Education Authority, the responsibility for education in London being given to the London County Council. Clearly the reference, on the medals, to the now defunct School Board for London would have to be removed. As the LCC already had £65 worth of medals to the old design, it was decided to issue them and to make up the required number from the School Board die. The result of this decision was that all the medals issued by the LCC, in their first year, bear the title of the School Board for London. The first LCC medals were issued for the year 1905. They were identical to the previous issue apart from the new authority name, and a change in ribbon colour from white to orange. In 1906 it was decided to change the reverse inscription. Instead of reading 'DURING THE SCHOOL YEAR ENDED A.D. 1906' they would read 'DURING THE SCHOOL YEAR 1905-6', several other changes to the layout of the reverse design were also made at this time. The following year, 1907, the Day Schools Sub-Committee recommended that the medal award scheme should be abolished, but the Council decided that the medals would be retained with amended qualifying rules.
As a regulation made by the old Board in 1898 excluded all children below standard I from receiving a medal, it was realised that after 1908 it would be impossible for children to earn eleven medals in succession, and generally, not more than eight medals would be awarded. It was decided not to make any changes up to the seventh year medal, but to make the eighth and subsequent medals of silver. The new nine year medal was very similar to the old eleven year medal, the eight year medal had no ribbon the clasp being attached by means of a pivot. To allow for such events as Jewish Holidays it was decided to allow for up to four half days, or two whole days, absence if notified by letter at least two days in advance. In an attempt to stop children attending school when ill, for fear of losing their medal, it was decided that children, absent due to sickness, would not be disqualified from receiving a medal, if the absence conformed to the school rules. This revised scheme came into effect from the school year 1907-08, and so from this year no more medals for ten or eleven years good attendance were awarded.
All the medals were redesigned in 1910, for the sake of clarity, the obverse legend being shortened to 'KING EDWARD VII MEDAL' and placed directly above the portrait, the reference to the LCC being moved to the reverse. The contract for this issue was awarded to Wright and Son of Edgware instead of Spink and Son. As King Edward died later that year, this medal appears for one year only, dated 1910.